This post was inspired by the story,
Carson City sheriff endorses Connecticut school shooting position statement | Carson City Nevada News – Carson Now
The full text of the statement is found here:
A Call for More Effective Prevention of Violence » Articles » Curry School of Education
Look at the signatories under this pablum…. Look at al those PhD’s…. The list is so long that they can’t add more to it.
And YET, in spite of all that brain power, all they can come up with is, …
- our deepest condolences
- our concern is not limited to schools
- We cannot and should not turn our schools into fortresses
- access to … mental health, law enforcement, and related agencies
- well-integrated programs
- community should attend to troubling behaviors
- break unwritten rules against “tattling” or “snitching”
- build positive connections to marginalized students
- Research-based violence prevention and related comprehensive support programs
- federal and state funding
- community-based mental health response and threat assessment
- revise policies on youth exposure to violence in the media
And of course, here it comes:
- acknowledge that access to guns plays an important role
- 2 million children and adolescents having access at home to loaded, unlocked guns
- availability of lethal weapons including assault type weapons
- need to find a reasonable and constitutional way to limit the widespread availability of guns
EVERYBODY misses the one obvious answer:
Looking for Sanity at a Time of Tragedy « Just The Facts, Ma’am
- The practical fact is, “when seconds count, the police are minutes away.”
- get as many people as possible to qualify for a permit to carry a concealed weapon
- repeal all the gun-free zone and other laws that put limits on the Second Amendment:
“the right of the PEOPLE to keep and BEAR arms shall not be INFRINGED”
If that heroic young teacher, who threw herself in front of the bullets to save the kids, had instead been shooting back at the attacker, she and the kids might still be alive today. Remember, the attacker killed himself when the police showed up; that is, when the threat to HIM had shown up.
Isn’t there a lesson in THAT?????
When the HELL will all these “brains” quit ignoring the OBVIOUS?
The story that is NEVER told in the “main stream” media is that a gun in the hands of a potential victim is a DETERRENT… THIS is the only thing that WORKS — because it leaves the people able to defend themselves, as the Founders had intended.
From recent news on the web:
- Gun-Carrying Arizona Man Helps Nab Bank Robber — And All He Had to Do Was Show the Suspect He Was Armed
- Numerous school massacres stopped by gun owners who wielded their weapons in defense of children
- Man Attempts to Open Fire on Crowd at Movie Theater, Armed Off-Duty Sergeant Drops Him (UPDATED)
- Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen – Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com
- In 1982, the town of Kennesaw, Georgia, passed an ordinance which required all heads of household to have at least one gun in the house. The burglary rate immediately dropped an astounding 89 percent. Ten years after the law was passed, the burglary rate was still 72 percent less than it was in 1981.
- Armed citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as the police do every year in this country (1,527 to 606).
- A 1996 University of Chicago study concluded that states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rates by 8.5 percent, rapes by 5 percent, aggravated assaults by 7 percent, and robbery by 3 percent.
- According to the National Safety Council, with guns being used 2.5 million times a year in self defense against criminals, firearms are actually used more than 80 times more often to protect lives, rather than to take lives.
- A 1979 Justice Department study titled Rape Victimization in American Cities, concluded that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32 percent were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3 percent of the attempted rapes were actually committed.
- Another Justice Department study found that 57 percent of felons agreed that “criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running the police.”
Still more “studies”
More Guns, Less Crime (remember this famous title? This article is full of references.)
I wonder what is takes to convince some people. How about THIS? (We can only hope.)
Wayne LaPierre’s news conference today; transcript posted on NRA
- “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”
- why is the idea of a gun good when it’s used to protect our President or our country or our police, but bad when it’s used to protect our children in their schools?
- this President zeroed out school emergency planning grants in last year’s budget, and scrapped “Secure Our Schools” policing grants in next year’s budget.
Based on gun control logic, we should also ban automobiles that look like racecars, because sleek design encourages drivers to go too fast
But instead, we get this:
- From FaceBook: It was because there were guns in someone’s household that those beautiful children are gone.
- Media Snarks, Dismisses NRA Suggestion to Guard Schoolchildren
- Ithaca College President Calls for More Gun Control
- NRA to Face Opposition from Teachers Unions over Armed Security at Schools
So let’s think this through.
We may WISH there were no guns. But there ARE.
We may WISH there were no insane, evil people, but there ARE.
There ARE insane, evil people, with
- guns (all the school shooters), or
- knives (remember that Chinese doomsday believer who slashed 23 children in school?), or
- bombs made of propane cans, or fertilizer (remember Tim McVeigh?)
- box cutters (remember the hijackers on 9/11?)
So you are in a gun-free zone and an attacker starts shooting. What do you do?
A few people are already shot. What do you do?
Do you cower and resign yourself to be next?
Do you panic and run, thus making SURE you are next?
Do you hope SOMEBODY has a gun and shoots back. NOW?
Do you curse at yourself because it’s not YOU?
Or do YOU reach for YOUR gun, take aim and FIRE?
There are people in positions of power, with questionable sanity, intentions and judgement, who
- create “gun free” zones (that is, target-rich, free-fire zones)
- pass laws in violation of the Second Amendment (over 20 thousand at last count), and
- agitate for still MORE restrictions, still MORE limits on our vanishing fundamental constitutional rights.
Do you see the real problem here?
What are are you going to do about it?
I have an idea: remember this in the next election and VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE.